Friday, March 19, 2010

3-19-10

Short post.
Spring starts tomorrow.

I'm really tired and sore from gym class (I've just started running again :D), but I really want to go out with my telescope. It's clear and warm outside. And there's a crescent moon, which is really pretty. And if the camera cooperates, I'll try to take some pictures and post them here!

...That is, if my Dad will let me. But he likes astronomy too! I remember one time I kept insisting we look for a black hole 'cause it was in the telescope's GPS-- didn't see a thing, after an entire hour. I think it was basically impossible. Then there was the time we stared at some blur for about 30 minutes and we were trying to figure out if it was the Sombrero Galaxy... or whatever it's called; I just know it by that. But when we tried to change the lens we lost it.
The best was the Andromeda galaxy. Yes, it was probably below zero at the time. Yes, it was really, really late. But it was amazing! Just a little blob kinda like a galaxy.

Maybe I could do it by myself- pretty simple, you just make sure the compass is correct and then you find some stars to calibrate on (That's the hard part; we have so many trees in our yard and on our horizon) and then you can begin searching through the tree branches for whatever astronomical object your heart desires. As long as it's in the GPS. Oh, and it's gotta be above the horizon. And trees or lights can't be in your way. Guh)

...That's why I love New York. It's almost always clear and you have the entire northern sky. So many stars- and the milky way. And a sea breeze, and waves crashing, and a the lights of Connecticut across the way (Long Island Sound, peoples)-- ooh, one time we saw cars and buildings and stuff through the telescope there. It was so cool. But most of all, I love it there 'cause we're usually there during the Pleiades's Meteor Shower. ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Anywho. As soon as it get's dark enough I'll try and drink and energy drink or something. And look up a few star charts, and see if my Dad's up for it. If not, I'll probably shrug and haul the telescope out by myself. XD

(a few minutes later) YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY! THANK YOU, MOST AWESOMEST FATHER IN THE WORLD! WE'RE GOING OUT WITH THE TELESCOPE!

No comments:

Post a Comment