Friday, March 19, 2010

3-19-10


Just came inside! It's chilly out. Especially if you're wearing flip flops; I don't recommend it.

Anyway... the sky was so clear! Well, to the south it was cloudy but we couldn't see that anyway because of street lights and trees. But the Orion constellation was brilliant. I could see a lot of the stars in it; as well as a ton of others you don't see on any given night.

First we saw Capella and Sirius; 'cause they were the telescope's calibration stars. Then we did went to the Moon- and it was so cool. 'Lil crescent; lots of craters. I got a picture with my cellphone camera, and with a regular one. The pic from my cell is to the right.

After that we went to Mars (lil red-ish like dot) and Saturn (really clear; we saw rings and everything). Granted, at first tree branches were blocking it at first but we waited a while and went back to it. All good.

Next stop? (cue the dramatic music) The Great Orion Nebula! One of my favorites! And we saw a hazy, weird-shaped cloud-like thing (Aren't I good with the descriptions?) but we also saw some stars in it and around it, which were a bonus.

And we moved on to Betelgeuse. If I were a star, I think she/he/it would be my role model. Maybe we could be BFFLS! :D Always loved that star.

Sombrero Galaxy was too low to see; our house was where it should have been.

I got my hopes up for the Andromeda Galaxy just 'cause I love it so much, so while the telescope was using its talented motors to whir itself into position, we were crossing our fingers. Too bad. It was right in a group of tress; really close to the horizon.

Then we went back to Jupiter, Mars, the Moon, etc.

We saw some double cluster... I didn't see a thing. I think our calibration was a tiny bit off. The compass is weird.

Lastly, we came across the Pleiades (spelling?). Lotsa stars. I never really liked the Pleiades. But it's not really a matter of liking or un-liking, considering they are just stars.

Overall, it was very spiffy. *sage nod*

No comments:

Post a Comment